SC - keg-brewed ale

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 25 11:02:51 PDT 1997

> L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt wrote:
>
> > Not being an expert here, I think I'll butt in anyway. I have not
> tasted ale
> > actually brewed in the middle ages (not in this lifetime ;^D).
> However, I
> > have had keg-brewed ale, ably brewed up by my brother Tigranes, and
> it was
> > fizzy. Not as fizzy as bottle fermented, not as fizzy as force
> carbonated,
> > but definately fizzy. We got a modest head. Reminded me of slightly
> flat ale
> > (like the second half of the pitcher ordered at the sports bar!) .

> Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
>

> The level of fizziness, or the lack thereof, would be along the lines
> of
> a modern English bitter or mild: not totally flat, but distinctly less
>
> fizzy than American beers or Guinness, which is quite heady indeed.
> Bear
> in mind that these ales were formulated with that final effect in
> mind,
> which effect was originally achieved through keg-conditioning.
>
> Clarity, BTW, is a pretty modern brewer's judging criteria. A period
> brewer would have been more concerned with the flavor and mouth feel
> or
> gravity. See La Pensee's "A Historical Companion to House-Brewing" in
> lieu of a detailed rant from yours truly.

The use of kegs dates to early period western Europe as a method of
storing and serving brewed beverages due to its strength (glass in late
period was more expensive to send across the county on road than to
another country by boat due to breakage) and sealed quality.  Adimantius
was right on the nose about the comparison to English carbonation vs.
American standards.  The carbonation depended more on the activity level
in the yeast when racked to keg and bunged than the pourousness of the
wood.  Beers would often be drunk within a couple of weeks after kegging
due to spoilage possibility.  The loss of carbonation after tapping was
unavoidable.

I had a beer from a recipe out of a book on Elizabethan household chores
that greatly resembled a modern brewing recipe if not 10 fold in size
:o)  It had all the qualities of a modern cask conditioned ale and would
have been delightful had it not become infected.  The book referenced
above has good information.  Also look in books about daily life in
manors or castles for info on breweries and beers in period.

(I know this is not a middle ages brew)

niccolo