SC - Knives-gender

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Oct 25 16:02:50 PDT 1997

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> I have looked and looked but the sexual characteristics of the Knive family
> are elusive and not readily apparent to the naked  <gasp> eye. I call my
> favorite knife "Betty" and he/she/it has never complained yet. I suppose a
> Spanish student or anyone who is familiar with a Romance language would be
> more qualified to answer this question.
>
> What is the verdict? Are knives "el" or "la"?

I guess it depends on the knife.

My lady wife has a Shadowmaker dagger named...sheesh, I forget...either
Hogelin or Bortai. In other words, named for either the mother or the
wife of Temujin, called Genghis Khan. I myself occasionally fight with a
rattan version of a Roman gladius or short sword, whose name is Baby
Dumpling. Anyone who finds this amusing, tends to get hit with Baby
Dumpling, whose sense of humor is quite limited. A knight of my
acquaintance once wanted to borrow her. He asked if he could borrow my
bastard sword for a couple of minutes. I told him I didn't own a bastard
sword, but offered him my short sword instead. He said that was what he
wanted in the first place. Seems there was a bastard on site he wanted
to hit with it... .

As for my cooking utensils, I haven't felt the need to name any of them
yet, except for Joyeuse, my mighty rolling pin, that no ordinary cook
may wield. I realize that name is more or less gender non-specific, but
I tend to see her as female.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com