Re- SC - cheese soup-

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Sun Oct 26 23:31:08 PST 1997

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook posted:

>There is a "Green Broth of Eggs and Cheese" in Menagier de Paris (late 14th
>c.)  Quite good, although some people give poached eggs floating in soup a
>funny look.

Thank you for posting this. This sounds interesting. I've got to try this.

> Item, some do not add bread, but instead of bread use bacon. [end of
>original]

Bacon will strain through the strainer?

>Soak bread in stock (either water left from cooking peas or 1/2 c canned
>chicken broth + 1 1/2 c water).

Fresh bread? or stale, drier bread. Or should you toast the bread? Just
seems difficult to strain fresh, soft bread. And messy.

>Grind parsley, sage, and saffron in a mortar thoroughly

Fresh parsley? I would assume so, but again, dried would seem to grind in
a mortar easier.

>The above is in our Miscellany 6th edition, which is on the Web.  For
>future reference, should I post such recipes or just say "from the
>Miscellany" and let those interested look it up?

I would prefer seeing the recipe unless they are real long. I like
being able to refer to it now. It also makes it easier for me to add
directly to a file such as this one to my soup-msg file. I admit that
it then ends up two places on the web, but someone looking for soup
may more easily find it this way. For this reason, I hope you will
continue mentioning when you are posting it from the Miscellany and
if it is not in add editions, which edition it is in.

Stefan li Rous
mark_harris at email.sps.mot.com