SC - cuskynoles

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 27 10:07:27 PST 1997

Mary Morman wrote:

> I'm ready to try my hand at spreading, boiling, and grilling, but in all
> the commentary have lost sight of the source of the original recipe.
> COuld someone repost the source?

Curye On Inglysche, Book I, Diversa Cibaria.

45. A mete that is icleped cuskynoles. Make a past tempred with ayren,
and sothen nim peoren & applen, figes & raysins, alemaundes & dates; bet
am togedre & do god poudre of gose speces withinnen. & in leynten make
thi past with milke of alemaundes. & rolle thi past on a bord, & sothen
hew hit on moni perties, & vche an pertie beo of the leynthe of a paume
& an half & of threo vyngers of brede. & smeor thy past al of one dole,
& sothen do thi fassure withinnen. Vchan kake is portiooun. & sotthen
veld togedere othe beolue [?] manere, as theos fugurre is imad:

[I'll render the picture later, as soon as I figure out how to make it
so that people can get it.]

& sotthe boille in veir water, & sothen roast on an greudil; & sothen
adresse.

> Also - wouldn't one of you just love to write all this up with the odd
> words, and the conflicting definitions and mis-definitions, and a solid
> redaction and submit it as an article for Serve It Forth! ?  Believe it or
> not - and I know this may come as a shock, so you may want to sit down -
> but there are hundreds and hundreds of perfectly amiable cooks out there
> who ---
>
> ARE NOT ON LINE !!!!
>
> So how about sharing some discoveries via hardcopy with Serve It Forth!

Ah, that old saw about how the internet isn't the real world, eh? ;  )

Actually, while I agree in principle, I think we haven't really reached
a solution to this that is to everybody's satisfaction. For instance, my
own interpretation is what seems to make sense to me, but I'm not
entirely satisfied with it, and others may absolutely hate it. Perhaps
we should wait just a bit longer, in case someone has anything to add
that might prove important?

I think a blow-by blow account of the various debates might not make
interesting reading to all...

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com