SC - Needed: Online Recipe Database

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Oct 27 10:22:46 PST 1997

While glancing through my books in an unsuccessful search for mustard soup,
it occurred to me that what we need is an index to primary source recipes
or, better still, an online database. Each entry would be the name of a
recipe, the primary source, country, century,  descriptive key words
("soup," "pie"), and pointers to secondary sources with worked out
versions. It could start small--English 14th-15th c.--and expand over time
to cover all of the available sources and to include things like lists of
ingredients. In the very long run, of course, it would also include the
primary source recipe itself, subject to copyright limitations on
translations. And it could include a field for adding comments by other
people online--including their own redactions. Ideally, there should be a
form available on the web site that would let people add additional
recipes--that way if I have a primary source not on the database and some
free time, I could add its recipes.

I have been impressed, reading this list, with the number of enthusiastic
and energetic people who are now involved in period cooking. Anyone
interested in the project?

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/