SC - sources (WAS: Re: V1 #352)

Mon Oct 27 11:51:42 PST 1997

  About copying part but not all?  I think (oh boy, here we go again) my
  understanding of the "fair use" clause in the copyright statute is that
  you can make ONE copy for YOUR OWN PERSONAL RESEARCH OR EDUCATIONAL USE
  of anything, in part or in whole, and be covered by the "fair use"
  language.  I do NOT think making multiple copies for at-cost class
  handouts, even tho the instructor is not profiting, and it is an
  educational use, is within this definition. ( You can give them the
  citations and they can make their own individual fair-use copies.)

Indeed.  Copyright is a law designed to enrich and protect the creator of
the document.  Minor exceptions are allowed for one individuals research,
but usage that is a substitute for sale of the work is considered to be
defrauding the copyright holder.

  Also, I don't think you can have intent to "defraud by avoiding actual
  purchase" if the item you want is not commercially available from a
  publisher.  Rare book dealers (who are re-selling out-of-print items)
  and used dealers are not, I think, protected in the same way as the
  currently available titles from a publisher.

It is perfectly within the rights of a copyright holder to cease making
copies available.  In that case, however, it is *still* not legal or
appropriate to make copies of material, without paying a fee to the holder
of the copyright.

Analagously, it's like a car.  I don't have to drive my car all the time, to
have the right to.  And just because I am not driving my car, doesn't mean
you can drive it without my permission.

  Is it possible that what you mean is FirstSearch from the OCLC database?
  Maybe there's a link to that system at the LC website? (I've never been
  there, LC website)  As I understand it, the Library of Congress's
  automation system is very antique and not very user-friendly even to the
  people who use it at work.

Pshaw.  Check out http://lcweb2.loc.gov/catalog/booksquery.html

I use it all the time: it is great!

	Tibor (hollis.harvard.edu, on the other hand..... bleah)