SC - Late-period is NOT Medieval

Mon Oct 27 12:47:19 PST 1997

I discussed this with a Danish exchange student who is living with some
of my inlaws.  He commented that most of Europe still uses few corn
products and that most of their corn is used as animal fodder.  It
didn't slow him up with the chips and salsa.

Europe doesn't grow the American Hybrid Sweet Corn we know and love so
well.  It was true over thirty years ago and from my conversation, I
believe it is still true.  This is probably a psychological block from
the idea that corn is animal fodder.

The only place I know of it being in common use in Europe is as polenta
in Northern Italy.

The history and sociological effects of corn in Europe from its
introduction as gran turco to the present might make someone a fine
thesis.

Bear