SC - Fo: Mustard soup recipe

Jane Waks waks at world.std.com
Mon Oct 27 14:18:39 PST 1997

Forwarded from the East list.  Since I didn't transcribe it myself,
I can't comment on whether there was source info in the A&S article.
- --Caitlin

ORIGINALLY From sca-east-approval at world.std.com  Mon Oct 27 15:28:01 1997
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 15:28:01 +0000
From: "Dr. Memory" <JVINCENT at wesleyan.edu>
To: sca-east at world.std.com
Subject: Re: [EK] Seeking a Salaamallah recipe...
Sender: sca-east-approval at world.std.com

- -Poster: "Dr. Memory" <JVINCENT at wesleyan.edu>

>From Pikestaff A&S '95...

Mustard Soup

A) Feast Size:

Ingredients:
- ------------
2 lbs butter (unsalted if possible)
2 lbs flour
20-50 oz cans of chicken broth
4 dozen eggs
120 oz of Gulden's spicy brown mustard
2 gallons milk
8 pints whipping cream
3 lbs frozen peas

Heat the chicken broth and milk together until it is hot but not
boiling (takes about 1 hour on fairly high heat)
Make a roux by melting the butter in the bottom of a large pot,=20
gradually adding the flour while stirring constantly until you have a thick
paste.
Add the chicken broth/milk mix to the roux, stirring CONSTANTLY so
it does not lump.
Beat the egss in a seperate bowl. Add the mustard and mix well. Add
the cream to that mixture and mix well.
Mix a little of the hot broth into the egg/mustard/cream mix to warm
it so the egss don't curdle. Then add the entire mixture to the large pot
of broth.

NOTE: The soup is usually made in 2 large pots, so adjust this procedure
accordingly.

Rinse the peas in colander with enough water to melt any ice, but
not cook them. Serve the peas in seperate bowls as a garnish for the soup.

B) "Initmate" size (ie serves 1-6)

Ingredients:
- -----------
2 Tbs butter
2 Tbs Flour
2.5 cups chicken stock
2 eggs
0.5 tsp salt
dash of pepper
1 tsp of onion juice
3 Tbs Dijon Mustard (or a spicy brown)
1.25 cups milk
0.5 cup heavy cream
10 oz package of frozen peas

Except for the addition of the salt, perrper, and onion to the
egg/mustard/cream mix, this is made just like the feast version.

 with the message UNSUBSCRIBE SCA-EAST