Corn in N. Europe, modern usage (was: Re[2]: SC - Late-period is NOT Medieval )

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at ki.se
Mon Oct 27 20:13:43 PST 1997

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> Europe doesn't grow the American Hybrid Sweet Corn we know and love so
> well.  It was true over thirty years ago and from my conversation, I
> believe it is still true.  This is probably a psychological block from
> the idea that corn is animal fodder.
>
> The only place I know of it being in common use in Europe is as polenta
> in Northern Italy.

In Sweden you can (in every supermarket) get tortilla chips (even the blue
kind), taco shells, froozen corn (either alone or part of a veggie mix),
canned corn, corn-on-the-cob (fresh when in season, canned or froozen at
other times), and corn starch.  But then we've never grown it as animal
feed here. It is only in the last few years that they've started to grow
it here at all.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
Tum pultus sicissentem ur ne lus sem ittibus profugnatreius.