SC - SC Fizzy vs period bee

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Tue Oct 28 00:19:54 PST 1997

Greetings,

It was said:
Thanks to the people who have responded with the benefit of teir wisdom.
I guess the answer is to go get a nice clean barrel, and brew in it using
a normal airlock, then put in a bit more malt and a proper bung, and
leave it for a goodly while. Or to run the priamry fermentation, then add
plenty of malt, put in a bung and drink it a couple of weeks later (Or
when the bung hits the roof...)

So I'll need some volunteers to help me (unless I can get a very small
barrel). Hmmm - I guess they can be found. (I am in Melbourne, Australia,
if anyone is interested)
<<<<<<<<<

Good luck in finding a useable barrel. I believe the Townsend catalog that
others have mentioned here may have some. I remember them being expensive,
particularly since you will be dedicating it to a single use. Whatever you
are fermenting in the barrel will soak into the wood and later flavor, for
good or bad, your sucessive batches. Also the barrels you are likely to find,
even from Townsends may well be post-medieval technology, such as using iron
bands and thus the end product might have or might not have problems that your
medieval brewing keg did.

At one time, I had dreams of actually making some barrels or casks. But after
finding an excellant book on coopering, I've decided that it is well past my
abilities for now. I believe I have mentioned this book in this file in the
CRAFTS section of my Stefan's Florilegium. If I didn't I can send the biblio.
info and there is lots of other useful info in this file:

coopering-msg     (32K)  5/ 8/96    Making and maintaining barrels and kegs.

Stefan li Rous
mark_harris at email.sps.mot.com