SC - Alphabet pretzels, and a bit about German Radishes.

Christina M. Krupp ckrupp at zoo.uvm.edu
Wed Oct 29 09:14:41 PST 1997

> > My father, who comes from Speyer in Germany, says that the coat of arms of
> > that town portrays several pretzels. The last time he went over, I asked
> > him to find out more, particularly with regard to the earliest known date
> > for that heraldic depiction. He returned with no usable documentation, but
> > he insists that it's "common knowledge" that pretzels were made in Speyer
> > throughout the Middle Ages, and that the yearly pretzel-and-radish
> > festival goes back to "ancient days". FWIW. -- Marieke
>
> I assume numerous Refreshing German Beverages (TM) are consumed to
> assuage the fire of the radishes, and the saltiness of the pretzels, at
> this ancient festival? -- Adamantius

Jawohl! You've got the idea! The annual "Radieschfest" in the neighboring
town of Schifferstadt is nominally to celebrate the harvest of the
radishes, but in fact the radishes are rather hard to find, the tables
being so laden with Bier! By the way, the German radishes aren't like our
cute little red ones; these are larger, and black-skinned, sometimes
yellow-skinned. And fiercely flavored indeed! -- Marieke

- -- Marieke