SC - Rose Doughnut Questions

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Thu Oct 30 07:22:26 PST 1997

Has anyone tried the rose doughnut recipe yet?  I am going to be trying it
and I have a few questions that i am sure the emembers of this list can
answer.  As a refresher, the recipe appears again below.

Rose Doughnut

 Make a batter of  egg, flour and as much whey as necessary for right
 consitancy.  Take a fully developed white or red rose with some of  stem:
 wash it, and put it into a clean bowl to drain.  Dip it into the light
 batter, and stand it up in plenty of hot butter to fry.  Shake it every now
 and then to make sure its petals will stand apart as they did on the
 rosebush.  If you add some rosewater, so much the better.  Flavor with cane
 honey.

OK we have established that the cane honey is either molasses or treacle.  My
question first question is, what is "the right consistency" for the batter?
 Also what would be "plenty of hot butter"? (enough to submerge the rose
completely, or. . .)

Many thanks!

Noemi