SC - SC Field feast in a Hurry

Charles McCN charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Thu Oct 30 16:38:26 PST 1997

You could try golden apples - mincemeat with egg yolk. make balls, dip in
white and boil in stock. Then roll in yolk (with saffron is nice) and
grill (the original calls for a spit, but I have happiy uused a grill. My
little spit doesnt hold them from spinning :(  Finally, dust with sugar.
These are best served hot.

they come out like golden apples. I am pretty inclined to put a bit of
fruit in with the mincemeat (pork is the recipe)

Or try this:
Mix almond meal, bread crumbs (orig: white bread IIRC) sugar, salt and
eggs to make a gooey dough. fry with butter or oil (I fried mine in not
enough for a deepfry, but more than a shallow fry) and dust with sugar.
Ends up kind of like an almond doughnut.

Both 13/14C

You could do a spit roast - I have happily used a big stick to cook a
duck on, and a piece of hardwood witha pointy end has happily held a sheep
(or goats or deer or ...) 10 times without much problem (And you can nail
it in place) I recommend goats - they are usually skinny (= fast.
thorough cooking), taste delicious, and in Melbourne are usually cheap.
For 60 - 70 you will want two or three, but they are pretty manageable in
a field - they don't need to be turned constantly. The best way to manage
them is with a shovel to add/remove heat quickly by shifting the fire
away. And if you ave charcoal for cooking it works wonders.

If you have a few pots you can use on a fire, you can cook a really
substantial feast. (Of course this means you spend the day cooking, but
the preparation beforehand can be spent reading a nice book, and the
cleaing up is much easier than in a regular kitchen - wash the dishes and
take the rubbish.

Charles
(All this makes me want to start cooking. But I don't think a fire would
go down well in a computer lab :(