SC - Kumiss

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Oct 31 06:43:16 PST 1997

Michael F. Gunter wrote:

> I got to try kumiss a few weeks ago. As the new Elfsea Defender we were hosted
> at all of the Cultural Camps on the site. In the Mongol encampment one of the
> dishes offered was kumiss. I don't know if this was "real kumiss" or an easy-bake
> variation but I thought it was wonderful. It tasted a bit like vodka mixed with
> milk. This sounds disgusting but is actually pretty good. The milk smooths and
> cools the bite of the alcohol while providing that wonderful warm relaxing glow
> of hard alcohol. Not bad at all actually.

Not too shabby, I agree. What you usually have to find out the hard way
is that the stuff is best when it's about two days old. Eventually the
alcohol, and what's left of the yeast, will cause the protein to curdle,
and settle out of the suspension, leaving behind what can only be
described as aged, alcoholic whey. Quite a lot like parmesan cheese
flavored white wine, and rather nasty, in my opinion. It is still used
in Mongolia and parts of China, to make various medicinal "wines", like
snake wine and tiger bone wine, etc.

After a certain consumption of single-malt whisky one Chinese New Year,
it occurred to my friend Ateno and I that it would be a good idea to
bottle some aged kumiss with a piece of my wife's Five Spice Beef, which
completely dissolved in the kumiss, producing a...unique...variation on
an already...unique...beverage.

Boy, I'm thirsty! Who wants five-spice beef kumiss?

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com