SC - Squirming Eels

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Oct 31 15:19:04 PST 1997

<< Is this true, or are you pulling my over-gullible leg?  >>

Yes, it's true. I've seen it with my own eyes. Having never met you
personally I would nit attempt the overtly personal act of "leg-pulling" at
this time. :-)

<<Do you know what, in fact , causes this reaction?

No, but I suspect it is related to tendon contraction and/or a reaction
similar to the electric spark apllied to the frog leg experiment.

<<When does it stop?>>

A few minutes after the eel is in the pan.

<< Why? >>

Dopn't have a clue other than the heat from the cooking process.

<< I assume the eel isn't still hopping about as the dish is served?  >>

It is not crawling about when served. :-(

<<If killing & freezing don't stop it, why does cooking?>>

Agiain I suspect that the heat from cooking contracts the tendons. When they
are fully contracted, the motion ceases.......????

<< Thanks in advance for satisfying my curiosity.
 Angelique >>

No problem. I've seen it happen. I know it happens and I can only offer
guesses as to why it happens. :-)

Ras