SC - potential problem foods

Jeanne Stapleton jstaplet at adm.law.du.edu
Wed Oct 1 20:16:42 PDT 1997

> Peters, Rise J. wrote:
>
> > I wonder sometime if some of the mis-flavorings we note in feasts
> > (cooked by others, of course) aren't due in part to the fact that
> > dishes frequently don't get to cook as long as they should.
>
> You're right, of course.  And as someone else pointed out, it's
> possible that the dishes were supposed to have such a dominant
> flavor.  I know I can't eat "hot and sour" soup, but that's the way
> it's supposed to be. I have to remember that my personal preference
> for seasonings doesn't mean the cook's idea is "wrong."
>
> Rosalinde
> --
You've hit upon a critical point, Rosalinde, that I frequently
mention to others:  tastes are personal, shaped a lot by culture,
both by society and by the households you grow up in and marry into.

I had someone go absolutely nuts when taste-testing tabbouleh for
a feast, insisting that the mint didn't "go".  Now, I happen to love
Tabbouleh, and so do most of my friends; but we couldnt' get through
to her that the mint was *supposed* to be there, and that there were
other options to choose from at the feast if she or anyone else did
not want to eat the tabbouleh.  Whew!  Did she get upset when I
refused to make it without the mint!

Anyway, I happen to love spicy foods.  I also happen to be a bonafide
sodium chloridaholic, which means I don't "get" people complaining
about salty chicken broth and too-salty onion dip (love the stuff).
I adjust for others' tastes as best I can, go very light on the salt,
but I refuse to cook bland food when I have other choices.

I'm also moderately adventurous.  I've had enough bad experiences
with organ meats that I know that I never again want to eat a lot of
something that's had waste products filtered through it.  :-)  I will
swill a fair amoutn of pate, however.  But trying out new flavors at
SCA feasts never bothers me.  Some I like better than others.  What
does dishearten me is getting fare that's no different than what
Denny's is offering down the block.

Berengaria

jstaplet at adm.law.du.edu
University of Denver