SC - Bay-references

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Fri Oct 3 08:51:22 PDT 1997

                      RE>>SC - Bay-references                      10/3/97

<snip>  Now to the question.  Is this a normal practice?  I have always put in
the whole leaf, and taken it out before the dish was eaten.  Is it better
that way, or should I think of crumbling them up as I put them in?
<snip>

I too was taught to put them into things whole and then fish them out.  But I
have seen recipes in books that tell you to use crumbled leaf and leave it in.
trivia alert:  I have found (don't ask me for source I never remember shen it
is useful!) references to it being alternately good or bad luck to get the bay
leaf in your bowl and find it by accidentaly biting into it.
- -brid
(happy friday all!)