SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #325

Robert Beaulieu robert.beaulieu at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 4 08:44:36 PDT 1997

Lord Ras wrote:

>>and I get violent migraines from red wine yet have
>>never had a reaction to it when it is used as a cooking ingredient.

Lady Peyton replies:

>Just a wonder......most wine induced headaches are caused by sulfites (which
>more and more commercial wines are using no matter how high the quality).
> Would a Sulfa Product break down because of heat?  Is this why no headache
>when it is cooked?  And is it only red?  Then this might involve an allergy
>to tannins but how would heating a tannin change it's properties?
>Anyone??????

Lady Derdriu replies:

>Actually, most wine-induced headaches are caused by the overindulgence in
>alcohol ;->

>Really, though, it is not sulfites that cause the problem with red wine as
>much as it is the tyramines, which seem to be absent in white wines.  The
>difference between cooked and uncooked may be a tolerance level -- you may get
>less wine in cooked versions from all the other ingredients and so don't get
>enough of the chemicals to provoke a reaction, whereas with uncooked wine, you
>tend to be drinking it.

	Even if those comments are probably true.
	It is of interest to know that sulfites do cause a lot of headaches,
that they are much more present in white wines and is lower quality
wines (avoid white cheap wines if you have problems!);
	But you will not have problems with it cooked because it is in wine in
it gas for and therefor evaporates in cooking...
	Also decanting the wine and/or leaving it sit in your glass for 15
minutes get rid of it almost completely.

	Lord Robert de QuelquePart