SC - honey dormice recipe

Sun Oct 5 05:42:25 PDT 1997

>Back on Thursday, Sept. 25, Aine said:
>
>>not to mention taste testing all those honey dormice.....
>
>Recipe, please!  And where did you get the dormice?
>
>Stefan li Rous
>markh at risc.sps.mot.com
>   (though I suspect you were kidding. sigh. I know dormice were
>          eaten but I don't have any recipes.)

Stuffed Dormice

Recipe By     : Apicius
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Glires:  Isicio pocino, item pulpis ex omin membro glirium
trito, cum pipere, nucleis, lasere, liquamine farcies glires et sutos in
tegula positos mittes in furnum aut farsos in cilbano coques.

Dormice:  Stuffed dormice with pork filling, and with the meat of whole
dormice ground with pepper, pine nuts, silphium, and garum.  Sew up and
place on a baking tile, and put them in the oven; or cook the stuffed
[dormice] in a pan.

Translation from Giacosa, Ilaria Gozzini; A Taste of Ancient Rome,
University of Chicago Press, 1992.

Stuffed Dormouse:  Is stuffed with forcemeat of pork and small pieces of
dormouse meat trimmings, all pounded with pepper, nuts, laser, broth.
Put the dormouse thus stuffed in an earthen casserole, roast it in the
oven, or boil it in the stock pot.

Translation from Vehling, Joseph Dommers; APICIUS Cookery and Dining in
Imperial Rome,dover Publications, 1977.

Vehling notes that the Soouther European dormouse is an arboreal rodent
the size of a rat (one of my six new things before breakfast).
He goes on to state "Dormouse, as an article of diet, should not
astonish Americans who relish squirrel, opossum, muskrat, "coon," etc."

Giacosa shows this recipe as Apicius 397.  Vehling shows it as Apicius
396.

Bear