SC - period suerkraut?

ANN1106 at aol.com ANN1106 at aol.com
Mon Oct 6 03:40:05 PDT 1997

I would like to hear more, when you do your research.  What we think is just
common sense (a good housewife preserving her cabbage) is not always the
case!  First of all, the brining process needs salt - which I don't believe
was very available to all classes.  It was, at one time so precious, that the
Romans gave their soldiers a "salt allowance" (hence the word "salary).
The Polish also store shredded cabbage in barrels of salted water throughout
the winter.
Audrey (ann1106 at aol.com)