SC - Small Feasts

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Oct 8 10:18:52 PDT 1997

Kathleen M Everitt wrote:

> No! It was a very small event. An Athena's Thimble (East Kingdom
> embroidery guild) Collegium and I think we only had about 30 people eat.
> Smallest event I ever did! Fun, though. And it gave me the opportunity to
> fool around with dishes that I wouldn't want to do in large amounts.
>
> Julleran

I'd be interested in other accounts of very small feasts, i.e. why they
were so small and how people handled that.

I remember doing a feast for an event that was scheduled months in
advance, and suddenly found we were opposite one of the Coronations of a
certain royal couple (anybody remember the "Rude Multi-Peer" thread?).
We moved our event to accomodate. They moved Coronation to our date. We
moved again. So did they.

Finally, we just up and held our event, fifty miles or so from
Coronation, on the same day. We ended up with about forty people
onboard, around half of them arriving just in time for dinner, after
having attended Last Court and Coronation. I hear that at least one
gentle (our seneschal at the time, IIRC) was handing out fliers for our
event, AT Coronation...a good time was had by all. I don't recall if
that was the event where we had Bob the Bruce's Bannockburn Open
Minature Golf Classic, or if that was the day of the Highland Special
Olympics (social consciousness and the desire to be politically correct
having been a slightly different article back then in the early
eighties).

The actual feast was kind of a pseudo-game feast (best I could do in NY
City at the time, although I suspect my purchasing skills have improved
considerably since then). I remember there being little "Scotch" quail
eggs, venison stew, stuffed boneless quail, duck in hochepot, and a
bunch of other stuff. I'm not sure if I even have a menu from this event
anymore, let alone recipes. As I say, this was a number of years ago.

People still refer to this feast as the "F*** you! Feast". "You don't
want to come to our event? F*** you!!!" I, of course, wouldn't dream of
stooping to such vulgarity. And if you believe that, I have a prime
piece of local Ostgardrian real estate: the Pontus Brooklensis, for sale
cheep!

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com