SC - Re:Your Name

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Thu Oct 9 05:15:44 PDT 1997

>al-Sayyid Ras

Hi!

I'm wondering about the latest addition to your name, Al-Sayyid. My best
friend married an Arabic Fellow whose last name in English is spelled
S-A-I-D, however it is pronounced roughly Sigh--heed, similar to yours. He
comes from French palestine but would be considered jordanina, I guess.
Does Sayyid mean "Lord"? Just curious. Please don't explain your FIRST name.
I got it the first time you explained it to me (Gross! Typically Arabic! Not
to the tast of a refined Irish Lady at all!  But the cultures can meet,
thank goodness. Did you know the Sultan Suliman the Magnificent had a harem
of captured European women, one of whom was the best friend of Marie
Antoinette? They were allowed to correspond frequently. Strange but true!).

Lastly, do you have any good Arabic sources? I want to come up with some
decent recipes for Baronial Investiture, cause I think the person who will
probabbly win for Baron is Christian-Byzantine (the other choice is
Mongolian, and I've already made him a feast to theme. He'll have to make do
with a killer soteltie or two). Barones is a toss-up, but the choices are
Irish-Manx (me), Scottish, or Early English/Pagan. I'm sure I can cover
that. I'm going to look in the Miscellany for Arabic stuff, but I thought,
given the Personae, that you might know a little more. I have done mid-east
before, but never from period sources, only adapted from modern-ish sources,
so I know only a modicum of period information----no tomatoes, etc.
Unfortunatly the feast will be mid-winter, so melons, fresh summer fruit,
etc. will be right out unless we luck out at the produce counter. And, I
loathe Falafel. Humus, on the other hand, is good, and that candy Halva,
Baklava, Candied Orange Curls, Yoghurt, Mint Syrups, etc. are easy enough. I
have a recipe for something for breakfast (modern) called Sha-shooka
(phonetic) which is basically scrambled eggs and fresh veggies, eaten with
pita. That was taught to me by an Arabic Prince when I tutored English in
College! He gave me a black-star saphire in thanks! I am amazed at the life
I have led. Surely that was someone else long ago and far away?

Well, gotta go. Kids are still sick. I hate the Chicken Pox. I can't believe
my Doctor refused to give them the vaccine. Well, I can, but this is very
frustrating. We are now working on week 2.

Aoife