SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #331

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Oct 9 07:20:25 PDT 1997

Ron and Laurene Wells wrote:

> As a cook, I'm not new, but as a MEDIVAL cook, I'm just a baby!
> Well, first of all, could someone PLEASE tell me what the definition of the
> word "Redaction" is?

The word "redact" is really just a rather pretentious synonym of "edit".
I have never liked the term, preferring to do "adaptations" rather than
redactions, as the inference that could be drawn is that a redaction
fundamentally changes the recipe, whereas an adaptation, especially
given with the original recipe, merely supplies the cook with the
additional information he or she might need to cook the dish under more
modern conditions. What people in the SCA generally mean by a redaction
is a version of a period recipe, with ingredient quantities,
temperatures, and cooking times supplied, which the original period
recipe generally doesn't.

I confess I have done very few "redactions" in my time, at least that
have been saved for posterity, since I prefer to just take the primary
source recipe, whenever possible, and just cook from it, with a modicum
of common sense and experience. I've been trying to clean up my act in
this regard, though, as I have increasingly been in the position where I
have tried to teach things to people about this art, and not everyone
works intuitively.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com