SC - Small Feasts

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Thu Oct 9 09:37:31 PDT 1997

I have had the opportunity to do small feasts but usually on a site with no
electricity or running water.  At least it's close to my home so things can be
transported easily.

The feast is for my Shire's Championship and we have now gotten recognition as
a group that you want to eat at. There's usually 50-60 persons eating so the
site limitations aren't that major.

The first year I cooked there I served a lamb/shish-kabob/lentil stew using
shish-kababs that had been frozen and slowly marinating for a few months,
maple-glazed grilled chicken, vegetables that had been grilled then stir-fried
in sesame oil with sesame seeds, and for dessert there was blueberry cobbler
with cream poured over. The Shire also provided a keg of mead. It wasn't a
period feast but it was very tasty and well recieved.

My second Championship feast was a little more on the mark. The current Champion
was Arabic so I planned it with a Bedouin slant.  I made roasted leg of lamb
stuffed with garlic and mint with brown sugar/salt/rosemary/pepper crust,
Blanche Porrey made in a huge black cauldron on site, the Morroccan couscous,
and Greens w/Fava Beans.  I had planned for Isfunga for dessert but the wind
was blowing so hard I couldn't get a fire hot enough to fry the cake so we had
to do without dessert. Also I didn't think I had enough food for everyone so I
slow cooked a couple of briskets in a brown gravy and served that as well.

I didn't get the Greens w/Favas right so they were a disappointment but the rest
of the meal was well recieved.  Our Championship is a very small and intimate
event that stresses family and relaxation. Everyone sits around on rugs and
pillows, has a largesse bardic, and just communes like we did in the "good old
days".

Ah, if I could only do a feast for only 100 people when I had a real kitchen to
work with...

Yers,

Gunthar