SC - Fava beans & Saffron

Woeller D angeliq1 at erols.com
Fri Oct 10 12:19:37 PDT 1997

I'd just as soon buy split favas at Charlie Sahadi's in Brooklyn.
> >Adamantius
>
> Looking for favas in Middle Eastern markets had not occurred to me. My
> source for inexpensive favas (bulk dried foods in general) went out of
> business a couple of years ago.  I can get whole favas at a local health
> food store (veddy hexpensife) and I can get split favas at a culinary
> store for about half the price of the health food joint.  From your
> advice, I'll opt for the split favas if I can't find them any cheaper.

Bonjour;
Another note about favas- you can buy them already prepared in most
Arabic food stores (often listed as 'Halal Meat' stores)(in VA, at
least), from about $.75 per 15 oz can, and up. I like the 20 oz can,
brand 'Sahadi' that I buy for $1.29 (Yes, they are packed for the
Brooklyn Sahadi Company) They are listed as "Foul Mudammas"(pronounced
more like 'fool' than 'fowl'), rather than 'favas', in some stores, and
are very good.  I'm sure most of you would rather cook them from
scratch, but buying a can to try them before I cook something new gives
me more of an idea what I'm shooting for, and I like to have some on
hand, ready right now.
Also, I remember reading someone lamenting the cost of saffron, and I
have found it reasonable in Arabic stores, but even cheaper in Latino
and oriental import stores. In some cases, outrageosly cheap- about $3
for a generous handful-size bag.
Hope the info is helpful. Bon Chance
Angelique