SC - cookbook sources

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Sat Oct 11 01:00:50 PDT 1997

Angelique asked:

  I'm new to
this, and thought the library was the only place to go, and there's not
much I'm finding there, either.  I'm getting the impression that I just
don't know how to look.  From the proliferation of documentation I'm
seeing in this list's correspondence, I would guess you gentles do. Any
suggestions?

While I have mentioned my files on the net, there are also plenty of
good books out there, too. Part of the problem is knowing which ones
to buy and which ones to avoid. Particularly if you are ordering them
sight unseen by mail.

You might want to look at these files in the FOOD section of Stefan's
Florilegium, find which cookbooks are recommended and order tham by
mail or as I recently did for Pleyn Delit, have your local bookstore
order them. Anyway these files will give you some folk's opinions
about various cookbooks:
cb-rv-Apicius-msg (22K)  9/12/97    Reviews of cookbooks having Apicius recipes.
cookbooks-bib     (32K)  4/21/97    Cookbook bibliography by Jaelle of Armida.
cookbooks2-bib    (14K) 10/ 3/97    Cookbook bibliography by Stephen Bloch.
cookbooks-msg    (126K) 12/ 9/96    Reviews of cookbooks with medieval recipes.
cooking-bib       (14K)  1/24/95    Bibliography on cooking sources.
Med-Cook-rev-art   (9K)  6/26/96    Review of "The Medieval Cookbook".

Unfortunately, these are generally a mixture of cookbooks for experienced
medieval cooks and those for beginning ones. I am working on a file with
reviews of cookbooks specifically for beginning medieval cooks from some
comversations here and elsewhere, but I don't have it edited yet.

My files can be found at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com