SC - sources (WAS: Re: V1 #352)

DUNHAM Patricia R Patricia.R.DUNHAM at ci.eugene.or.us
Sat Oct 11 10:47:00 PDT 1997

Great answer from Aoife on how-to-find-this-stuff!  Studying
bibliographies, the Florilegium, interlibrary loan, SCA and other book
dealers are all excellent strategies.

However, there are a couple of places where my experience doesn't quite
line up with Aoife's so, for what it's worth, my 2-cents worth 8-)...

About copying part but not all?  I think (oh boy, here we go again) my
understanding of the "fair use" clause in the copyright statute is that
you can make ONE copy for YOUR OWN PERSONAL RESEARCH OR EDUCATIONAL USE
of anything, in part or in whole, and be covered by the "fair use"
language.  I do NOT think making multiple copies for at-cost class
handouts, even tho the instructor is not profiting, and it is an
educational use, is within this definition. ( You can give them the
citations and they can make their own individual fair-use copies.)

Also, I don't think you can have intent to "defraud by avoiding actual
purchase" if the item you want is not commercially available from a
publisher.  Rare book dealers (who are re-selling out-of-print items)
and used dealers are not, I think, protected in the same way as the
currently available titles from a publisher.

>From what I've seen, what is currently available from publishers in this
line is not outrageously priced, or very numerous; and the bulk of it is
not currently in print.

A second thing:  About looking up titles in the Library of Congress
catalog on-line?
Is it possible that what you mean is FirstSearch from the OCLC database?
Maybe there's a link to that system at the LC website? (I've never been
there, LC website)  As I understand it, the Library of Congress's
automation system is very antique and not very user-friendly even to the
people who use it at work.  On the other hand, OCLC, the cataloging
utility in Dublin Ohio, has gotten into the Reference business in a big
way, and a major one of those is making a quite user-friendly interface
into the whole catalog database on a subject basis.  The searches are
REALLY cheap, so lots of libraries are offering them free to the public;
ask at your library reference desk.  The Reference staff SHOULD be able
to help you figure out what the best subject wordings for searching are,
and then you're off.  (If all else fails, look up several of your
bibliography titles, by title, and see what the subjects on -them-
are...)

Third thing...  Unfortunately, InterLibrary Loan may or may not be free
at your local library.  (And unless you're a member of Congress, it may
be next to impossible to ILL from the Library of Congress, that's not
the business they're in.)  Even if the library is  charging, I can
assure you it's nowhere near the actual cost of the service (we have a
minimum $2 fee, and recommend people indicate they're willing to put up
at least $5 to the lending institution fees, but the last time we
looked, the actual cost of the service may have been more like $7 or
$9).  Very low fees, like our $2, are usually there to weed out the
frivolous requests; many large institutions have very high borrowing
fees, to control demand (i.e. Harvard and UWashington are about $22! --
they have everything, but want to have some of it at home instead of
circulating around the world 8-)!, so they're "rationing" to only the
most seriously interested)

Fourth 8-) -- is Raymond's Quiet Press back in business?  Hooray!

Fifth -- I looked glancingly at my Cooking Forsoothly and Dagger-Lickin
the other day...  While they may be fine for generic SCA use, and have
pretty good bibliographies, they were compiled rather a long time ago
(5-10 years minimum) and they didn't strike me as exactly scholarly, in
the way that Heiatt, Hess and Scully, Katerine, the Miscellany, Ras and
Adamantius, etc., are...

Chimene

Patricia R. Dunham - Eugene Public - 100 W 13th Ave - 97401
patricia.r.dunham at ci.eugene.or.us - 541-984-8321
http://204.203.17.34/library (EPL)     <<<>>>
http://members.aol.com/gerekr/medieval.html (home)
 ----------
| Either: Go to the largest Library in your area. Find books about Food
| History. Xerox the bibliography pages. Look at the Bibliography and
decide
| what books pertain to the areas you are interted in. Take this
information
| to your local library and request that they get them through
inter-library
| loan. This may take a couple weeks. When you get your sources, you can
xerox
| portions (not ALL) of it without violating copyright laws, since you
are
| using this for educational reasons (ie: as research). Copying all of
it
| would be a direct violation of copyright laws, as your purpose is
clearly to
| circumvent actually buying the book---that would be fraud.
|
| OR: (snip)  Go to your computer's internet search
| function and look up the Library of Congress. At the Library of
Congress
| website you can search for book titles and information, book subjects,
or by
| author. Take this information and, once again, go to the library to
try to
| get these sources through Inter-Library Loan.
|
| Inter-library loan is free to Library members.
|
| For cost, you should be able to take the above information and go to
| bookstores and order various in-print books. Additionally, at most
large SCA
| "Wars" there will be merchants who carry these books or who have
sca-printed
| resources. Poison Penn Press and Raymond's Quiet Press are two that
come to
| mind. Lastly, used bokstores can often take "orders" for used book
that are
| out of print or nearly out of print. They will look for a book, buy
it, and
| then make it available for you to purchase within a limited time.
Sometimes