SC - Re: Bay leaves

Jasper Fieth cem8780 at omega.uta.edu
Sat Oct 11 00:52:04 PDT 1997

> It is my understanding that bay leaves are insoluble in the human gut
> (for lack of a better all-purpose and encompassing word) and are
> sufficiently woody to have the charming property of being able to cause
> tearing and poking damage to internal tissue. As a consequence, our
> family practice was/is to add them whole to dishes, hide the 'prize'
> somewhere on or immediately near one's plate like watermelon seeds, and
> very carefully avoid chewing any part of them.
>
> ciorstan
> (who bought a very small bay laurel tree three days ago for $1.49)

Here's a unique solution to the bay leaf hunt problem: I was making up a
soup which required bay leaves, but I have had problems in the past with
getting them out again (hunting for the leaves is not what I call fun at a
feast, and may have problems later with those unfound). Here's the
solution : Tea bags. Get unfilled teabags at your local herbalist or
apothecary, put the bay leaves in the teabag, and toss into the soup.
Afterwards, finding the bag isn't that much of a problem (I tied mine to a
long bit of floss and then to a wooden spoon laid across the pot) When I
pulled up the spoon, there was the bag. No worries about bay leaves.
This also gives one the option to crumble the leaves, which does allow
more surface area to react, and some tell me that changes the taste to the
better. Me, haven't tasted one, but who knows...

Esko Sola

***
"Sanity is a one-trick horse. Sure, it gives you nice things like rational
thought, but when you're insane THE SKY'S THE LIMIT!!!"  -- The Tick

Do not trifle with dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

This is Mac.                                      \\\\|////  'Hi'
He wants to travel the world.                     ( O   O ) /
Please add him to your .sig and help him.    ---oOOo--U--oOOo---

"Of course that's my opinion -- I could be wrong." -- Dennis Miller

"I started out Catholic, now I'm an American." -- George Carlin

Deep Thoughts:
If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
Why don't sheep shrink in the rain?
Why if you take it by land is it a shipment, and by sea it's cargo?