SC - Confit d'oie

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Oct 12 06:31:50 PDT 1997

marilyn traber wrote:

> that even aftre rinsing the top layers were too salty, she saved it by
> stirring all the layers together and adding a quart of stock making it
> into soup.

That sounds to me like an unfortunate event that was the fault either of
the cook or the specific recipe, rather than the process itself. If the
cook put in too much salt, for whatever reason, then there was too much.
This is easily avoidable in future.

> > Will these geese be properly fattened for lovers of goose liver?
>
> But of course! I figure a dozen geese will make a 6 cup terrine of pate,
> now if  I could just find a source for the truffle shavings in oil I
> used to get in france, it would be great.

I was thinking in terms of foie gras, of which three would fill a 6-cup
terrine quite nicely. Don't get me wrong, though. I'll settle for a nice
goose-liver mousse anytime. Maybe with morels?

As for the truffles, FWIW, there's a guy in Oregon selling fresh
cutivated black truffles for around $100 a pound, who advertises and
takes orders on the Web. I keep intending to form a syndicate with a
couple of friends. A pound is a lot of truffles, unless you think you're
in Perigord in the nineteenth century, and plan to eat them whole, in
pastry or some such. I have a recipe for truffle essence which begins,
IIRC, "Take six pounds of fresh Perigord truffles..." Very depressing.
For the more down-to-earth (definitely no pun intended) I have had good
results with the Italian white truffle oil. I once injected the stuff
into the meat of a roast turkey as it cooled, at strategic points. Maybe
not as effective as a time machine for capturing the truffle experience,
but definitely not too shabby, either.

A hypodermic syringe, BTW, is just something that happened to come home
in the slew of stuff that my wife acquired between the birth of my son
and them coming home from the hospital. It has lived in the kitchen
since then, carefully wrapped, of course. Don't have three months to
"feed" whisky or rum to that fruitcake or plum pudding, daily? Give it a
shot or two! Same result in under a week.

Adamantius ("They thought I was mad! MAD! I'll show them...") trying to
think of mad scientist schtick
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com