SC - Confit d'oie

marilyn traber margali at 99main.com
Sun Oct 12 19:48:00 PDT 1997

> That sounds to me like an unfortunate event that was the fault either
> of
> the cook or the specific recipe, rather than the process itself. If
> the
> cook put in too much salt, for whatever reason, then there was too
> much.
> This is easily avoidable in future.

She dusted the legs with salt, friged them over night on a grating to
drip, then rinsed them, laid them in the cake pan and confited them, she
used my chicken stock-I dont use salt in it. The residue of salt was
intensified, near as we can figure out, by the confiting, when I asked
my boss, he said that was why he always omitted the salt step to the
confitting.

> I was thinking in terms of foie gras, of which three would fill a
> 6-cup
> terrine quite nicely. Don't get me wrong, though. I'll settle for a
> nice
> goose-liver mousse anytime. Maybe with morels?

I don't think I want to go through the process of force feeding the
goosies for a month, so they will just be well fed on nonmedicated feeds
and all the bugs and grass they can eat.

>  A pound is a lot of truffles, unless you think you're
> in Perigord in the nineteenth century, and plan to eat them whole, in
> pastry or some such.

Not in this or any other life, too rich!

>  I have had good
> results with the Italian white truffle oil. I once injected the stuff
> into the meat of a roast turkey as it cooled, at strategic points.
> Maybe
> not as effective as a time machine for capturing the truffle
> experience,
> but definitely not too shabby, either.

That is why I used to buy the trimmings, because they are the result of
the trimming of the truffle into te nice sphere, so they are little
flakes, perfect for doing the garnishing in aspic for chaud-froid of
chicken, and infusing the flavor in as well.

> A hypodermic syringe,

Diabetic. They are also great for injecting alcohol into grapes, and
other sundry things.

margali