SC - beer bread recipe (was re: small feasts)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 13 08:46:50 PDT 1997

Par Leijonhufvud wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Stephanie Rudin wrote:
>
> > gently and then dispose of the sediment.  Would you want to keep that
> > sediment
> > when using it to cook with?  Or is it just nasty stuff that should be
> > disposed
> > of?
>
> It should be usable as a "substitute" for yeast (it is yeast:-). IIRC
> there are comments by Roman writers (with these words I hereby invoke the,
> Adamantius! ;-) that the Germans had bread that was much nicer that their
> own, without the sour taste and all.

Pliny the Elder, Historia Naturalis, IIRC, is what you are referring
to...the problem is that most of what comes to us as homebrew is
top-fermenting ale, and what sinks to the bottom is almost completely
dead yeast. You might be able to take  a solution of water and sugar
(preferably malt extract or actual brewer's wort) and use that trub at
the bottom to create a live yeast starter. When you've got that, you can
skim some of the foamy glop off the TOP, and use that for leavening,
since it's now live yeast. Bear in mind that in period both brewing and
baking were not so much frequent events as constantly ongoing processes,
and the raw materials for one were regularly being produced by the
other.

For any additional info., corrections, etc., I tag Mistress Sincgiefu.
You're it!

> P.S. Please, no more than 80 columns/row. Messes up reading for some of us...

Now that you mention it...you have a point there.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com