SC - beer bread recipe (was re: small feasts)

Ladypeyton at aol.com Ladypeyton at aol.com
Mon Oct 13 21:07:41 PDT 1997

>You might be able to take  a solution of water and sugar
>(preferably malt extract or actual brewer's wort) and use that trub at
>the bottom to create a live yeast starter. When you've got that, you can
>skim some of the foamy glop off the TOP, and use that for leavening,
>since it's now live yeast. Bear in mind that in period both brewing and
>baking were not so much frequent events as constantly ongoing processes,
>and the raw materials for one were regularly being produced by the
>other.

I'm fairly positive that beer yeast used to make bread will not have a taste
that you expect.   Bear in mind that brewing & vinting yeasts are only
distant cousins of bread yeasts today.  I tried a wine with a bread yeast as
an experiment.  Yeuchhhh!  I have never tried the reverse but I wouldn't be
surprised if the same yeuchhh result was the outcome.  If you try it I would
be extremely interested in what your results were.

Peyton