Herbs (was: SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #358)

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at ki.se
Tue Oct 14 08:21:50 PDT 1997

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, marilyn traber wrote:

> As a member in good standing of an herbalist guild, I can attest to
> there bing modern herbals that are just as inaccureate as the old ones.

This won't help very many (if any) of you, but still...

The book "Vilda vaxter som mat och medicin" by Stefan Kallman was
published this spring in Sweden (guess the language, but an English
translation _is_ apparently planned: the title can be translated as "Wild
plants as food and medicine"). It is based on modern studies of
nutritional content, safety and efficacy (a lot of rats ate strange things
to make this book possible). No, I don't have anything to do with the
production of the book myself, but I have taken several courses (survival
& plant use) from the author, and he appears to know what he is doing.
Fairly heavilly focussed on the northern circumpolar area, though.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried."