SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #360

Ron and Laurene Wells tinyzoo at vr-net.com
Tue Oct 14 13:58:05 PDT 1997

Whew!  I FINALLY got caught up on all the backlog of digests that I missed
the last few days!  Took a long time!
    Thanks to all who responded to my post about the saffron.  Gosh, I sure
hated seeing my type-o's repeated all those time though.  Made me want to
tuck my tail and hide!

I used some of the ideas posted about the Rice Pudding earlier to make a
sort of Rice breakfast for my kids this morning.  I didn't have enough eggs
to make it like was suggested, so I abandoned the whole "redaction" idea
competely, and simply used the concept of a citrus flavored rice with
spices.  It worked quite well, and my 4 year old even asked for seconds!!!
Thanks for the postings!

   Someone asked "where do you get quail eggs?" and I never saw a response
to that.  The only way I know to get quails eggs (other than paying a very
high price for them in a specialty shop - IF you can find them!) is to raise
Coturnix Quail (specially adapted to living in captivity) and collect the
eggs yourself.  I had a cockerel and 3 hens once-upon-a-time, and kept them
in a bird cage in the kitchen.  The males can be QUITE loud!  And the shells
on those itty bitty eggs are the thickest and toughest things to get off I
ever saw!  You have to REALLY WANT quail's eggs to go through that much effort.
   An alternative I might suggest would be Bantam Chicken eggs, which are
noticeably smaller than Standard chicken eggs, though obviously larger than
quails eggs.  And they are easier to peel/open.  You can even raise
Auracauna Bantams (or standards, whichever) and get pre-colored eggs -
Auracauna chickens are from South America (nope, not period for the SCA I
guess) and they lay green and blue shelled eggs, as opposed to white or
brown shelled eggs of other breeds.
   To be honest, when I owned the quail, I didn't realize what a delicacy
the eggs were, and found them to be more of a bother than an asset.  I just
thought the birds were cute.
- -Laurene
- -
*                                          The Tiny Zoo, inc.
*
*
*
*                                         Visit our Web Site!
*
*                            http://www.vr-net.com/~tinyzoo
*