SC - horror stories (was re: fake intestines)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Oct 14 17:20:14 PDT 1997

kat wrote:

> She showed up the morning of the feast, armed with notes and information... and was told by the Great and Mighty Feastocrat that, since she was so young, she was not allowed to touch the knives or come near the stove.  He refused to take her advice on the dishes and prepared the recipes HIS way.
>
> And he made a few mistakes.
>
> Like not draining the brine from the olives prior to making the soup.

Sounds like a replacement soup could have, and should have, been made,
in the form of Feastocrat Ballock Broth.

I don't have any similar horror stories directly related to food, as far
as I can recall at the moment. I think most people are a bit too
frightened of me to mess with my cooking too badly. While I don't
consider myself especiallty frightening under normal circumstances, I
have discovered that I am commonly referred to, behind my back, as
either "The White Tornado", "Chef Indiana Jones", or as Master Robin
Argyll's Evil Twin.

Gee, ya leap headfirst into one lit convection oven, and all the sudden
you are the stuff of legend ;  ).

Anyway, I once worked on a feast with the aforementioned Robin Argyll du
Coeur Aille, and discovered a certain gentle of the Canton of Marwick,
of the Barony of Settmour Swamp, EK, purportedly the son of a butcher,
helpfully honing all the knives in the kitchen on my steel. Hard.
Repeatedly. With both the flat of the blade and the edge exactly 90
degrees from the axis of the steel. Ruined hundreds of dollars worth of
knives in about two minutes, and actually cut a groove in my steel.

I did happen to have a Chinese cleaver in my hand at the time I
discovered this, but a lot of spoilsports prevented me from gutting him
like the haggis with a beard that he resembles...

Adamantius, who resembles a clean-shaven, stylish haggis, or, according
to some, Fred Flintstone
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com