SC - Apple Pies (was: Small Feasts)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Oct 14 16:39:34 PDT 1997

Clarissa asks:
>Do you have a period recipe for apple pies??!!!! I am looking for one!
>
>From _A Proper Newe Booke of Cokerye_ (16th c.):

To make pyes of grene apples

Take your apples and pare them cleane and core them as ye wyll a Quince,
then make youre coffyn after this maner, take a lyttle fayre water and half
a dyche of butter and a little Saffron, and sette all this upon a
chafyngdyshe tyll it be hoate then temper your flower with this sayd
licuor, and the whyte of two egges and also make your coffyn and ceason
your apples with Sinemone, Gynger and Sugar ynoughe.  Than putte them into
your coffin and laye halfe a dyshe of butter above them and so close your
coffin, and so bake them. [end of original]

So this is a covered sweet pie; except for the details of the crust, and
the absence of cornstarch to thicken the juice, it isn't too different from
my mother's apple pie--assuming you cut up the apples, which it doesn't
ever say.  It could also be like the medieval quince pies, where you core
the quince from the top, fill up the hole with sugar and sometimes ginger,
stand three quinces in a pie shell, cover, and bake.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook