SC - apples

Jasper Fieth cem8780 at omega.uta.edu
Tue Oct 14 21:53:17 PDT 1997

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Chanda Shaffer wrote:

> > I did something really dumb today. There's a farm near us that has a
> >scarecrow contest, haunted house, cornstalk maze and all that and they
> >have hayrides out to the orchards where you can pick your own apples. I
> >took the kids out there today and they had so many varieties and they
> all
> >looked so good that we came home with 37 pounds of apples.
> >
> >Anyone have any period apple treats that I can make up for the fighters
> >to take to "Not Necessarily Pointless War" this weekend?
> >
> >Your help would be greatly appreciated. I can't get into my kitchen!
> >
> >Julleran

Do you need documentation by this weekend, or will a word do?
I have three books worth of apple-things, but I'd have to hunt for the
documentation on most of them...

Here's one, though it is more of a craft than a receipe:
Peel apple.
using a sharp implement of destruction, carve a face into the apple.
Mount apple on stick.
Allow apple to dry in the sun.

What you have is a shrunken "head" that was used in poppets of the period.
Doubters can go to a good doll collectors convention, or browse through
all the books in my mothers attic... she's the fanatic on that one.

Esko Sola

***