SC - SC- promised recipe

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Wed Oct 15 07:16:32 PDT 1997

It's a bit late, but here is the apple sheetcake recipe I promised.  It is
definitely, OOP, but is very good, and not too sweet.  It is, of course,
Hungarian.  I've done it for my family mundanely and at several small feasts
and it has been a real sucess.

Almas Pite (Apple Sheetcake)

Dough:

1/2 lb. butter
3/4 lb. flour (14/5 cups)
1/4 tablespoon salt
1/4 lb. confectioners sugar (3/4 cup)
3 egg yolks
1 tablespoon sour cream

Filling:

3 lbs. hard baking apples
2 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons butter, melted
3/4 cup ground walnuts
1/2 cup vanilla sugar
1/4 cup rasins
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Mix butter and flour until the mixture forms crumbs. Then mix salt and
confectioners' sugar into it.  Make a well in the center, put in 2 egg yolks
and sour cream, and knead it together. Leave in a cool place for 1 hour.  (If
the sour cream is very thick, add an extra teaspoon.) Make the filling.  Peel
and core the apples, then grate them through the coarse holes of an apple
grater or squash peeler.  (I personally use a food processor).  Add flour and
melted butter, ground walnuts, vanilla sugar, rasins and lemon juice.  Mix
well with your hands. Pre heat oven to 375 F.  Divide dough into 2 parts, one
slightly larger than the other.  The larger piece will be used for the bottom
crust.  Roll each piece of dough between two pieces of floured waxed paper to
make thin sheets of dough. Line a 12 X 8 cake pan with the larger piece of
dough.  Spread the apple mixture evenly on top of this bottom crust.  Cover
with the smaller sheet of dough, evening it out with your hand.  Beat the
remaining egg yolk with 1 teaspoon of water and spread this egg glaze over
the top crust.  Prick with a fork at 2-3 inch intervals.  Bake for 45
minutes.

If you cannot get vanilla sugar where you live, you can make it yourself. Put
2 vanilla beans and about 3 lbs. of turbinado sugar ina jar with a little
room at the top.  Let sit for 3 months, shaking occasionally.

Noemi