SC - Alphabet pretzels

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Oct 16 05:46:49 PDT 1997

Ian van Tets wrote:

> My lady Elaina,
>
> doesn't one of the recipes for jumbles recommend cutting them in Ss
> if no other letter springs conveniently to mind?
>
> Cairistiona

Funny you should mention jumbles in connection with pretzels: jumbles
are, most traditionally, tied into a knot, or at least in a loop with
overlapping ends, and they are boiled before baking, as many versions of
the pretzel are.

So, of course, are bagels, which appear originally to have been shaped
by forming a loop with overlapping ends, to be poached before baking,
usually with an egg wash. We appear to be moving in some kind of logical
loop here, as well!

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com