SC - Alphabet pretzels

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Thu Oct 16 06:27:27 PDT 1997

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Ian van Tets wrote:

> My lady Elaina,
>
> doesn't one of the recipes for jumbles recommend cutting them in Ss
> if no other letter springs conveniently to mind?
>
> Cairistiona

I have just gotten a nice little food book called The Dutch Table by
Gillian Riley.  It is mostly 16th and 17th century Dutch paintings of food
and kitchens - with some commentary and many undocumented recipes that she
says are from an early 17th century source but does not quote in the
original. there are numerous paintings of bread dough letters both in
homes and in markets and the author talks about them being made for the
Feast of St. Nicholas on December 6th.  There are also pictures of
traditional, twisted pretzels. It's hard to tell if the letters are
cookies or plain bread - there are some that look like each.  Most of the
pintings are slightly out of period, but this is a lovely book.

elaina