SC - Re: Pickled egg recipes -- BEETS?

Woeller D angeliq1 at erols.com
Mon Oct 20 08:41:37 PDT 1997

Christina M. Krupp wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I've been observing this flurry of pickled-egg recipes with interest. Most
> of the recipes offered recently include beet root or beet juice.
>
> My understanding is that beet greens were eaten in period, but the root of
> the period beet was an unremarkable thing. The glorious ruby root that we
> are all familiar with, and the sugar-beet root which is a different
> variant, were post-period developments.
>
> Beet juice makes an excellent food-coloring agent, giving shades of dark
> red that are unavailable from other natural sources. If beets were
> available in the Middle Ages, wouldn't we see beet juice listed among
> other medieval food colorings such as saunders, saffron, and parlsey
> juice? It seems notable in its absence.
>
> I am very fond of cooked beet-roots and I'd love to be able to use them at
> feasts with a clear conscience. Can anybody offer evidence of their use in
> medieval recipes?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -- Marieke
Don't know about it's periodicity- someone asked about small feasts and
why they were small, I gave my version of a small feast, which is
usually an unplanned expansion of a picnic, the ruby eggs were an oop
staple in my no-hassle picnic basket- someone asked for the recipe and
the rest is archive...
I would love to be able to do a period version, though, if anyone can
advise...
Hugs & pinches
Angelique
"Too much is not enough"