SC - Late-period is NOT Medieval

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Oct 22 06:52:07 PDT 1997

<< here are numerous documentations for potatoes in late period (last 25 or
 so years).

                  jon >>

Unless your reading different period sources than I am the potatoes you cite
here are in all likelyhood sweet potatoes. White potatoes were to all intents
and purposes used solely for stock food and were probably consumed by a few
peasants. The same goes for corn.

Personally, I cannot justify serving stock feed to nobility who would NEVER
have eaten these items under the circumstances we are trying to recreate in
the SCA. I also find it hard to justify using "late period" recipes at a
feast when they are being used because the ingredients and cooking techniques
are more familiar to the modern cook.

Since the cooking techniques and ingredients available as well as seasoning
were drastically altared during the late period (circa 1500 C.E.) these
recipes and ingredients are certainly not, IMHO, typical of Medieval Cookery
and cannot be seen as belonging to the Middle Ages except by an extreme
distortion of thinking. There are literally thousands  of pre-16th century
recipes to choose from negating any need to use recipes or ingredients that
are decidedly not Medieval in style or ingredient.

End of rant.

al-Sayyid Ras