SC - feast comments

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Wed Oct 22 17:19:06 PDT 1997

Adamantius declared:

I did an EK Twelfth Night feast a couple of years ago, and was more or
less under orders from my Viceroy to make the meal as absolutely
accurate to period as possible without sacrificing what a modern diner
would consider food quality. (So no, I didn't put gravel in the bread or
anything insane like that.) It was also "suggested" to me that I should
provide a handout for each diner or interested party containing a menu,
recipes, both original and redacted, with English translation where
necessary, and notes regarding any judgment calls I made during the
entire process of producing the meal. I wasn't too happy about this, and
included a wildly non-period "spoiler" in one of the dishes, just to see
what would happen;

Hmm. I guess I've missed something. When people here have been asked what
they wanted in redacted recipes, this seem to be what was requested. What
is it that irked you? That someone "asked" for this? Or are you saying
you felt preasured to do what I hope you were going to do anyway? I will
admit that a handout for everyone is probably overkill, but isn't an
interest in getting period meals (which may or may not include documentation)
part of what folks here wanted to encourage?

Is it that someone wanted to see justification for your judgement calls?
Again, there has been a lot of critisim here of authors who did not make
these calls clear. I will admit that you are providing a volunteer service
and not a paid book or performance.

And Admantius, I would love to attend one of your feast someday even without
such documentation but I would enjoy it even more with such docs.

    Stefan li Rous
    mark_harris at email.sps.mot.com