SC - Re: Pickled egg recipes -- BEETS?

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Oct 22 20:35:20 PDT 1997

<< nteresting, again. I would have expected, from the name, that sugar
 beets would be sweeter than "normal" ones. >>

The overall FLAVOR of a sugar beet is very similar to red beets if not
exactly the same however, sugar beets TASTE far sweeter. My gram used to grow
some of them and put a couple of chunks in each jar of regular beets at
canning time to sweeten them up. Despite this singular use of sugar beets for
human consumption , the rest of the crop was allowed to mature and was used
only to feed the cows. Even today the shredded remains of sugar beets after
sugar processing are used for cattle feed. It is my uderstanding that the
closest thing we have to medieval beets is Swiss Chard which curiuosl;y bears
the SAME scirntific name as sugar beets and red beets that being> Beta
vulgaris.

Ras