Re- SC - pickled herring

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at ki.se
Wed Oct 22 20:42:37 PDT 1997

On 22 Oct 1997, Mark Harris wrote:

> Par Leijonhufvud answered my question about ideas to use pickled herring:
>
> >Being a scandinavian I generally eat pickeled herring with boiled
> >potaoes, sour cream and some fresh chives (chopped). A "typical" summer
> >lunch.
>
> So, is all this served cold? Or mixed together and heated? Is the
> herring drained or boiled or just taken out of the jar?

The potatoes are warm, the herring is cold; just fork the pieces out of
the jar onto your plate. I leave the serving temperature of the sourcream
and fresh chives (optional) as an exercise for the reader.

> > Around Xmas you are supposed to go berzerk and make "fifty-eleven"
> >kinds (I am rather partial to the mustard versions myself). Traditional
> >item on a smorgasbord.
>
> Is this a mustard sauce on the herring? Or is the herring cooked in
> a mustard sauce?

Not cooked, but with mustard added to the pickle (never done any myself,
but I can look up the recipie if anyone is interested. As if that was a
real question in this forum... But it is, AFAIK, OOP or at least
undocumented).

> Most descriptions people have given so far, seem to take the saturated
> herring and use it directly. Is this correct?

Yes.

> Perhaps the fact that is nearing Xmas is why these jars of various herrings
> suddenly appeared in my grocery store.

Prolly.

> >No idea how/if it was used in period.
>
> I thought the pickled herring was. That was one reason I wanted to try it.
> But I am open to trying modern recipes too. I haven't been able to find salted
> or dried herring yet.

Haven't seen any dried in the stores, but the salted stuff (for the
do-it-yourself enthusiast) is available in virtually all supermarkets
over here.

The question is *what* they did with it once upon a time. I seriously
doubt they all either ate it raw, or looked at it and decied to call out
for pizza.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
You are in a twisty little passage of standards, all conflicting.