SC - eels? fish cultivation?

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Wed Oct 22 22:53:44 PDT 1997

Par Leijonhufvud said:
> like gravlax, smoked eel, smooked salmon, etc.

Ah, ha! So eel *is* still available in some places. That's another
item that I've wanted to try since I started studying medieval foods
and reading this list.

Since it's been five or six months since it was last asked, anyone
have any sources for eel? It's not common these days but apparently
was commonly raised in medieval fish and mill ponds much as we raise
catfish today. Anybody know what else was raised in medieval ponds?
Did they raise any fish such as catfish? Catfish may be North American.

Stefan li Rous
  (Who is not going to run out of questions at this rate. :-) )