SC - Starter Knife Set

Thu Oct 23 13:04:19 PDT 1997

  What is the opinion if Those Who Know regarding ideal storage systems for
  knives? Blocks (based on the above those with vertical storage appears to
  be best?), magetic strips, cases, or what?

I dunno if I am "in the know" or not.

If I had the kitchen space (Hey, I Do Now!), I'd use a magnetic bar.
Provided you are gentle to the cutting edge as you place the knife on the
bar, it's not a bad thing.  The ONLY advantages they have over a knife block,
is that knife blocks can tip, and that slots can retain dampness if you
store your knives wet.  (Which, of course, a right-thinking individual will
never do.)  Under cabinet pull-down drawers, or drawers with dividers I like
a bit less: either you store the blade edge down, which dulls, or edge up,
which cuts your hand.

I recommended knife blocks with horizontal cuts, not vertical, myself.

My favorite form of knife storage was on a friend who is a professional
chef: a portable scabbard that he belts on when he's seriously ready to
cook.  I don't need one of those: but it was so, well, cool.  Made of
aluminum, so the case was softer than the blade.

	Tibor