SC - Honey Apples

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Oct 23 18:46:07 PDT 1997

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> I've been watching all the recommendations for the above mentioned book and
> felt that I should menmtion that the author and avid guru of her particular
> style of cookery died of cancer. I don't know if that is significant but I
> retired all mey Gibbon's books for the same reason. :-0

I'm not entirely certain why, but you remind me of my late
father-in-law, who passed away in the embrace of lung cancer about two
years ago, and went through a long period of denial that he was fatally
ill. Finally, when he was able to admit both to himself and others that
he was going to die, and that the goal was to keep him alive as long as
possible, and as long as he wanted to remain so, rather than to cure the
cancer, he was heard on several occasions to claim that his cancer was
the result of eating too many raw clams as a young man.

Terrified the bejeezus out of my son, who is an all-around bivalve fan.
"Hey kid! You want this chocolate bar or these mussels marinier?"

The fact that he (my father-in-law, not my son) smoked like a chimney
for almost seventy years did not enter into his equation, apparently. My
feeling is that there are many things in this world that are more likely
to cause cancer than the Rombauer diet, which doesn't even give pride of
place to raw clams...

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com