SC - Late-period is NOT Medieval

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Fri Oct 24 10:13:57 PDT 1997

> It is not my intention to belittle or dismiss SCA feast cooks who choose to
> do non-period but rather I am more than a little curious about their reasons
> for doing so. I would never wear modern military attire to an SCA fighting
> field and I would never , personally, consider doing a non-period style
> feast. The bottom line is that I find it inconsistent with the Dream. :-)

Perhaps these feast cooks feel, as I used to, that there are no easily available
period cookbooks and the "Medieval foods" they have eaten were not well prepared
and, well, sucked. The challenge to these new cooks is to make a hearty feast
that is well recieved and everyone gets fed. The feasts I cooked where there
were mixtures of period and "perioid" foods at least contained different types
of food from those commonly eaten. Cassoulet as an example is not commonly eaten
in Texas. I wanted those "meat and potato" Ansteorrans to broaden their taste
buds but my knowledge of period dishes was very limited. Now I'm actually
enjoying the challenge of educating those same Ansteorrans to the delights of
period cookery.

Don't put off to laziness that which is probably simple ignorance. With this
list and and the Ansteorran cooks on it I feel that our fair Kingdom will be
getting an education for the better.

Thanks for being such a good teacher, Ras.  :-{)}

> Ras

Yers,

Gunthar