SC - Children & Solution

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Fri Oct 24 13:52:35 PDT 1997

                      RE>SC - Children & Solutions                 10/24/97

<snip>
> and would never have destroyed anyones lovely
> gingerbread castle- only stared at it longingly with
> little fingers twitching.
> -brid
> (auntie and god-mama to a handful despite a fairly tender age)

Brid, you nailed at least one of the obvious solutions, one which
really does work in the SCA setting when and where it is allowed to.
"Aunties" and "nuncles" both are period-ish concepts, and godparents
<snip>

And I have even managed to convert some anti-children friends into
children-tolerant friends.  Besides, there is no better excuse when you are
seriously bored to tears by something at an event than by saying "whups, I'd
better go entertain the small".  And if they aren't yours, you can give them
back when you are done! ;)
But seriously, the best kids in the SCA are the ones who have been included,
so that they know what all the excitement is about instead of feeling left
out.  90% of the time children are not irredeemable.  And if you are a parent
appreciate your local aunties and nuncles, don't abuse 'em.
- -brid
(who has spent the better part of a couple otherwise unbearable events playing
with the smalls, and enjoys the funny looks, when she becomes an armored
jungle gym or pell, "madonna in armor", ;))